Having agreed to return to Dynamo Kiev this weekend, Andriy Shevchenko has given a final goodbye interview to Chelseafc.com.

The 32-year-old opted to end his three-year stay at Stamford Bridge, the last of which was spent on loan at AC Milan, in favour of a return to his first club and the increased likelihood of regular football.

Looking back at his time in London, Shevchenko was able to acknowledge that he only rarely hit the heights of his earlier career, but his effort was never lacking.

'I think it is a good decision for me to go back to Ukraine, my home country where I started my career and to finish there,' he began.

'I always tried my best for Chelsea and it is only my decision to leave because I want to play regularly in games. I thank the club and Roman Abramovich very much, and everybody who has worked at the club and the players, I have many good friends here and a very good relationship with them and Carlo Ancelotti.

'I have big respect for him, he is not like a manager but a friend and he understands my decision, it is best for me.

'I feel when I played for Chelsea I received big support from the fans. I will remember for all my life this club and I hope I can come to the stadium and say "goodbye" to the fans, I want to send a message to thank them for their support and to enjoy their football and watching their team, I send my best thoughts for the team and hope that Chelsea wins many titles.'

Sheva, the club's record signing when he arrived in the summer of 2006, scored a number of memorable goals while with us, notably an FA Cup quarter-final winner against Tottenham and a late equaliser against Aston Villa on Boxing Day 2007, yet it is experiences away from the field that he will remember best.

'The best memories are the relationships with the players and the fans because it was three hard years and some games I played okay but many games I was out injured and every time I came onto the pitch I tried my best,' he explained.

'I know I scored some fantastic goals here, that Tottenham one was one of them, and it is another great memory for me. English football is one of the best leagues in the world and has wonderful fans with a very good attitude to football, so I will remember it well.'

In total Andriy made 77 appearances in Chelsea colours, scoring 22 times. Everybody at Chelsea wishes him well back home in Ukraine.