27 October 2009

COLE: NATURAL SELECTION

Joe Cole, speaking to the official Chelsea website prior to the Blackburn game, revealed he is anticipating good days and bad days in the final stage of his return from serious injury. It is safe to say Saturday was a good day.
It was a good day for the team with the 5-0 win that put us back on top of the Barclays Premier League pile, and it was a good day for the player who did enough in 76 minutes to suggest he could make the position at the front of the midfield diamond his own.
'It was fantastic to be back,' Cole said after his first league start in nine months. 'I really enjoyed my game in the Carling Cup against QPR and I enjoyed this one more. It is easy to come back into a team playing as well as we are and I am delighted.
'I enjoyed playing in the midfield with Frank and Bally and Michael. I'll play anywhere but I think my best position is this one where I started my career when I was playing youth team football
'Unfortunately I haven't played in a team that plays that system so I have had to adapt my game and play off the left or the right, but I enjoy it in there in the middle. It is the first time in my [first team] career and it is more natural to me.'
Carlo Ancelotti's preference for diamonds or Christmas trees when it comes to team shape means plenty of places for central midfielders in his selections. Cole can look forward to regular football if he stays fit.
'I am very lucky to play for Chelsea and very lucky to play for England and there is so much to look forward to in the coming months.
'I know all the games won't be like Saturday but I enjoyed in nonetheless and it was a great win for us.
'The manager has helped me at lot. He has had some knee injuries in his career and he has been able to talk to me and been able to understand it which has been helpful and he gave me the captain's armband against QPR which was a great gesture.
'Any footballer will tell you being injured is hard. I have had a lot of injuries over the past few seasons and it is great to have good friends and family to get me through it, but the main thing is to have a steely determination to get back and I feel that I have got that. I was always focused on days like Saturday.
'I was nervous,' the 27-year-old admitted. He also agreed that a chance to score in the first minute came a little too early on his return.
'It was just like starting again, although everybody at this club and most people in the country know what I am capable of. You still feel those little butterflies but it is a great start.
'I am so excited about playing football again. Sometimes it takes something like this when you are out for so long to make you realise it, but every day I go in to training is a blessing and I love it. I really enjoy being back.'
Click to read the latest blogs on the weekend action.

No comments:

Post a Comment